Sunday, January 24, 2010

time to buckle down

So Jon is in the final stretch of prepping for his Prelim exams . . . he takes them in a little less than two weeks. He is also applying for research grants to help fund the trips he will need to take to Germany to start his research for his dissertation. Once he finishes his prelim exams (Feb 8-11) he will be what is known as ABD (all but dissertation) and could even technically take a job as a professor at some colleges or universities as long as he shows progress towards finishing his dissertation. We probably wont go that route quite yet since he still has to finish all of his research and has another year of TA work he is obligated to finish. All that said, the next two weeks are no doubt going to be stressful, quiet and . . . on my part . . . boring.

So, to fill the time, I've undertaken the project of reorganizing all my arts and crafts supplies. What was one small storage box (1 1/2 feet by 10 inches) when we arrived in RI, is now enough to fill a small room (12 feet by 4 feet) . . . I have my easel, my drafting table, our roommates sewing machine, numerous canvasses, block printing supplies and a huge basket of fabric. Sorting through the odds and ends will take time but I am hoping it will also encourage me to start making things again. I have started an etsy.com site and will hopefully be selling items there soon!

Besides that and working, I've also been filling my time with roller skating. The Providence Roller Derby league has finally finished the try out portion of their season and have officially asked me (and about 20 other girls) to join the league for the 2010 season! I am so excited! I've been skating with them for a few months now, met some amazing, strong women and really been proud of the improvements I've been making both as a skater and as an individual. It's been awesome. More details on team info, derby name, bout dates, etc to come . . . hooray!

For more info, you can visit providence roller derby.com.

Now, it's off to rewatch some episodes of LOST before bed - new season starts Feb 2nd!!!

love you!

{photo credit chriscappy}

No comments: